Tuesday, May 3, 2011

My Favorite Cake

I was sending this recipe to a friend and thought I ought to share the love.  This is honestly my favorite cake.  I make it for my birthday every year, and every other chance I can get.  A wonderful woman on my mission in Alaska introduced me to it (thanks Sis. Deland!).  So without further delay, Summer's Favorite Cake

Here is the recipe for my favorite cake, I have no idea if it has a real name, but that's what I call it.

1 box chocolate cake mix prepared (whichever kind you prefer, or make your own cake batter)
1 c. chopped pecans
1 c. shredded coconut (I get sweetened coconut)
1 8oz. package cream cheese
1/2 c. butter (definitely better than margarine)
some powdered sugar ( few cups probably)

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Grease a 9x13 pan.  Sprinkle pecans and coconut on the bottom of the pan (truthfully, I don't really measure these, I just cover the bottom of the pan till I think it looks good). 
Pour the cake batter over the top.
In a medium sized pot melt the butter and cream cheese together.  Slowly stir in powdered sugar and mix well. (I don't measure the sugar either! The recipe I have calls for 1 lb. of powdered sugar, which always seemed like too much to me.  So I add powdered sugar until it tastes good to me). 
Dollop the cream cheese/sugar mixture onto the cake and swirl it in gently with a knife.  Bake for 45-50 min.

Enjoy! It's great hot or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment