Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A New New Year's Tradition

I love the holiday season!  I love Halloween for dressing up (and candy), Thanksgiving for family and food, and Christmas for the music, the smells, family, and mostly for celebrating the birth of our Savior.  But New Year's has always been a bit anticlimatic for me.  As a teenager there were dances (where most stared at each other awkwardly at midnight as balloons dropped).  Our first New Year's together we switched between watching an Andrea Bocelli concert on TV and a program about the Universe.  And last year we flew back to Utah from Texas.  Nothing terribly memorable to ring in a new year.  So I was very excited to discover a new tradition I want to start with my little family.  I read it in a local magazine that came in the mail (Mckinney something-or-other).  Anyway, here's the idea:

A New Year's Time Capsule!  I've always loved the idea of a time capsules.  As a kid I thought it would be cool to open one from a "long time ago" and see what people thought was cool or important or sentimental.  So this year, on New Year's eve, we'll gather together a few photos of the year, maybe a few things that remind us of what has happened during 2009 (which was a pretty big year for us), and write letters to our future selves about what we hope to accomplish during the coming year.  Then we can open it next year and do it all over again!  I'm stoked. Though I don't think we'll be registering it with the International Time Capsule Society, since it will probably just be in a shoe box or something (maybe we'll go durable and put it in some tupperware).

3 comments:

  1. Neat idea, Summer! Thanks for sharing. I will have to see if I can convince Brian to do something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I received a comment yesterday from a Summer Lewis and accidently deleted it! Was it from you? If so, I do have a # and an email for Jennie. Email me if it is you - I'm sorry! ericahuff@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's not forget the New Year's Eve of 2006 rolling into 2007 when you spent the day at the emergency room with me for reasons that continue to be a mystery. Good times

    ReplyDelete